Friday 14 November 2014

PAST PERFECT TENSE-ENGLISH GRAMMAR


PAST PERFECT TENSE
BY
SMART LEARNING WAY

Tenses stands for verb forms or series of verb forms which are used to express time relationship.

Tenses are of three types – Past, Present, and Future.

Each of these three main tenses has four sub-divisions.

  • Simple/indefinite;
  • Continuous/Progressive;
  • Perfect and ;
  • Perfect Continious.

INTRODUCTION OF PAST PERFECT TENSE

Structure

* Affirmative  Sentence        : Subject  +  had  +  3rd form of the verb

* Negative      Sentence         :Subject +  had not + 3rd form

* Interrogative  Sentence     :Had      +  Subject    + 3rd form?

USAGE OF THE PAST PERFECT TENSE

This tense is used:

1)      To describe an action completed before a definite point in the past; as,

·         At 2 o’clock he had sold all his eatables.

·         Lata had got married at age of 18.

      2) To describe a completed action in the past before another action in the past began; as, 

·         The bell had rung when we entered the school

·         The patient had died before the doctor arrived.

·         The letter came after he had left for the office.
 
   3) To denote past desire which remained unfulfilled; as,

·         If only I had studied hard. (but I did not study)

·         I wish I had met her in my youth.(but I did not/could not meet)  

 4) In the conditional clauses to describe something which did not really happen; as,

·         If he had met us, we would have helped him.

·         If you had studied seriously, you would have passed.

1) I was sure that I ________ the place before.
·        
            had seen
·         have seen
·         had saw
·         seen

2) I needed to know what _________ to my car.

·         had happened
·         happens
·         has happened
·         happened

3) The film ________ by the time we go to the cinema.

·         started
·         has started
·         had started
·         had start   

4) Susan left the restaurant after she ________ eating.

·         had finished
·         has finished
·         had finish
·         finished

5)I went to bed after I ________ off the television.

·         had switched
·         switched
·         had switch
·         has switched



           

         

No comments:

Post a Comment