Monday 17 November 2014

FORMATION OF SENTENCES ASSERTIVE -ENGLISH GRAMMAR


FORMATION  OF SENTENCES ASSERTIVE
BY
SMART LEARNING WAY

CONTENTS 

Introduction
 
Definition

Example 
 
Assertive pronouns

Introduction

•         Assertive is an adjective in English. The word describes the state of a person who is inclined or tends to assert himself boldly or confidently. An assertive person is self-assured and confident. He may aggressively place his point of view before someone. Other synonyms associated with the word 'Assertive' are: aggressive, emphatic, forceful, self-confident, self-assured, firm, forward, pushy, insistent, persistent, unrelenting, resolute and persevering.

Assertively is the adverb form of the word assertive and assertiveness is its noun form.
understand his plan and its utility. 

•         A group of words that makes complete sense is called a sentence.

Example:

color blue favorite is My. (makes no sense, therefore it is not a sentence)

My favorite color is blue. (makes complete sense, therefore it is a sentence)

•         There are four kinds of sentences:

1. Assertive or declarative sentence (a statement)

2. Imperative sentence (a command)

3. Interrogative sentence (a question)

4. Exclamatory sentence (an exclamation)

•         Definition of Assertive

1.      Assertive - aggressively self-assured; "an energetic assertive boy who was always ready to argue"; "pointing directly at a listener is an assertive act" self-asserting, self-assertive

2. An assertive sentence is a sentence that states a fact. Such sentences are simple statements. They state, assert, or declare something.

Examples:

Jan is a student. She lives in a big city.

2.      Confidently aggressive; "too assertive as a salesman"; "his self-assertive and unflagging energy" [syn: self-asserting, self-assertive] 

 EXAMPLES

• ASSERTIVE SENTENCES

1.    Gandhji  was a great leader.
2.    India is a Very Vast country.
3.    The People of Japan are industrious.
4.    The principal did not punish him.
5.    They do not  work hard.

•         Turn the following exclamatory into statements.

1.        what a fine flower it is !
Ans.     It is a very fine flower.

2.        What  a  lovely scene it was !
Ans.     It was a  very lovely  scene.

3.       How freely Sachin hits the ball !
Ans.    Sachin hits the ball very freely.

4.   What  a courageous boy Abhay was !
Ans.     Abhay was a very courageous boy.

5.     How lovely the roses were !
Ans.  The roses were very lovely.

6.    How  selfish  I have been !
Ans.   I have been very selfish.

7.    Oh what a fire!
Ans.  It was really a terrible fire.

8.    What a funny story  she  told !
Ans. She told a very funny story. 

9.    What a majestic gift I got !
Ans.   I  got really a  majestic gift.

10.    What  an easy paper we had !
Ans.   We  had a very easy  paper.

•         Turn the following questions into statements.

1.      Did Irfan bowl well ?
Ans.   Irfan bowled well.

2.      Was  Amit  playing cricket ?
Ans.  Amit was playing cricket.

3.      Was the principal  angry with you ?
Ans.  The principal was angry with you.
    
4.     Were the children shouting in the class ?
Ans.  The children were shouting  in  the class.

5.       Did Suraj write a letter ?
Ans.   Suraj wrote a letter.

6.       Is Piyush coming for the picnic ?
Ans.   Piyush is coming for the picnic.

7.       Are they cooking food ?
Ans.   They are cooking food.

8.       Am I  Late ?
Ans.   I am Late.

9.       Did Sanjay Come home ?
Ans.  Sanjay came home.

10.     Did Mitali paint a picture ?
Ans.   Mitali  painted a picture.

•         Assertive Pronouns :
 
( 1) Much,  ManyMore  and  Most  are called Assertive pronouns.

Examples :

You need more milk for this sweet.

Not much milk is lost.

Most of the students did not turn up for the function.

Many parents complained about this.

We need more number of Math Teachers.

Many pens were lost in the rain.

  
 (2) Little,  Less, Few, Fewer  and  Fewest are called Assertive Pronouns.


Examples :

There is less orange juice in my glass.

There are fewer public holidays this year.

I gave the child only very little milk.

NOTE :

LESS is used with uncountable nouns.

FEWER is used with countable nouns.

 (3) Someone, somebody and something are also Assertive Pronouns.
   Examples :
 
    Can someone help me with accounts?

    I hope somebody picks up the phone. 

    This is something that required passion, he has none for America.

•  Direct – Indirect

(1)     Kaveri Said to kamal, “I am Going to park.”
          Kaveri told kamal that she was going to park.

(2)   John said, “ I am very busy now and  I don’t have  any time.”
       John said that she was very busy then and he didn’t have any  time.

(3)    They said, “ We do not answer your question, sir.”
         They told their sir that they did not answer his question.

(4)    I said , “ Pratik, you always find excuses  to me.”
        I told Pratik that he always  found  excuses to me.

(5)   My uncle said to me, “ I shall give you fifty rupees tomorrow.”
        My uncle told me that he would give  me fifty rupees the next day.

(6) Kajalben said to her son, “ I paid your fees to your teacher   yesterday.”                                                                      
       Kajalben told her son that she had  paid his fees to his teacher  the previous day.

 Active - Passive

(1)  Mina has drawn these pictures. (A.V.)
      These pictures have been drawn by Mina. (P.V.)
   
(2)   My brother has visited his house just now. (A.V.)
       My brother’s house has been visited by him just now. (P.V.)
 
(3) I have already sent your message to your teacher.  (A.V.)         
      Your message has already been sent to your  teacher  by me. (P.V.)

(4)   They have purchased toys from Hong Kong. (A.V.)
        Toys have been purchased from Hong Kong by them. (P.V.)

(5)    She has already taken her dinner. (A.V.)
        Her dinner has already been taken by her. (P.V.)

     
(6)    I have seen the Taj mahal. (A.V.)
        The Taj mahal has been seen by me. (P.V.)


No comments:

Post a Comment